Skip to content

NYS Sales Tax Vendor Registration Facts

If your business makes taxable sales in New York State, you are required to register as a sales tax vendor with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to obtain a Certificate of Authority (aka COA).

  • Do you know if you need a temporary or regular Certificate of Authority?
  • You need to apply for a COA at least 20 days before you do business.
  • Certificates of Authority are not transferable. If you buy or sell your business, the new owner must file for a new certificate.
  • Certificates must be displayed prominently in your place of business.
  • If you have more then one place of business, you must have a COA displayed at each location.

For more information you can view this video from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.

As always, Hedley and Co CPA’s is here to help.  Please contact us with any questions you have.